Glenbard Township High School District 87
Board of Education
Communications To and From the Board
The School Board welcomes communications from staff members, parents, students and community members. Individuals may submit questions or communications for the School Board Board’s email address(es) that is posted on the District’s website. In accordance with the Open Meetings Act and the Oath of Office taken by Board members, individual Board members will (a) not reply to an email on behalf of the entire Board, or (b) not engage in the discussion of District business with a majority of a Board-quorum.
The Superintendent or designee shall:
1. Ensure that the home page for the District's website contains an electronic link to the email address(es) for the School Board, and
2. Provide the Board, such as in the Board meeting packet, with all emails that are received and any feedback regarding them.
If contacted individually, Board members will refer the person to the appropriate channel of authority, except in unusual situations. Board members' questions or communications to staff or about programs will be channeled through the Superintendent's office. Board members will not take individual action that might compromise the Board, or administration. There is no expectation of privacy for any communication sent to the Board or its members, whether sent by letter, email, or other means.
Board Member Use of Electronic Communications
For purposes of this section, electronic communications includes, without limitation, electronic mail, electronic chat, instant messaging, texting, and any form of social networking. Electronic communications among a majority or more of a Board-quorum shall not be used to conduct Board business. Electronic communications among Board members shall be limited to:
1. Disseminating information; and
2. Messages not involving deliberation, debate, or decision-making.
The following list contains examples of permissible electronic communications:
1. Agenda item suggestions
2. Reminders regarding meeting times, dates, and places
3. Board meeting agendas or information concerning agenda items
4. Responses to questions posed by the community, administrators, or school staff, subject to other limitations in this policy.
LEGAL REF.: 5 ILCS 120/
CROSS REF.: 2:220 (School Board Meeting Procedure), 3:30 (Line and Staff Relations), 8:110 (Public Concerns and Suggestions)
ADOPTED: December 8, 1997
REVIEWED: November 21, 2005
REVIEWED: August 15, 2011
REVISED: September 26, 2011
REVIEWED: March 9, 2015
REVISED: April 27, 2015