Glenbard Township High School District 87
Administrative Procedure - Use of Isolated Time Out and Physical Restraint
This administrative procedure applies to all students. Isolated time out and physical restraint shall be used only as a means of maintaining discipline in schools, that is, as a means of maintaining a safe and orderly environment for learning and only to the extent that they are necessary to preserve the safety of students and others. Neither isolated time out nor physical restraint shall be used in administering discipline to individual students, i.e., as a form of punishment. The use of isolated time out and physical restraint by any staff member shall comply with the Illinois State Board of Education (ISBE) rules, Section 1.285, "Requirements for the Use of Isolated Time Out and Physical Restraint." Isolated time out and physical restraint are defined as follows:
Isolated time out - the confinement of a student in a time-out room or some other enclosure, whether within or outside the classroom, from which the student’s egress is restricted.
Physical restraint - means holding a student or otherwise restricting his or her movements. Restraint does not include momentary periods of physical restriction by direct person-to-person contact, without the aid of material or mechanical devices, accomplished with limited force and designed to: (1) prevent a student from completing an act that would result in potential physical harm to himself, herself, or another or damage to property; or (2) remove a disruptive student who is unwilling to leave the area voluntarily.
The following also apply:
1. The circumstances under which isolated time out or physical restraint will be applied are limited to maintaining a safe and orderly learning environment. §1.280(c)(1).
2. The ISBE rules are adopted as the District’s written procedure to be followed by staff for the use of isolated time out or physical restraint. §1.280(c)(2).
3. Staff members shall inform the Building Principal whenever isolated time out or physical restraint is used and the Building Principal shall maintain the documentation required according to Section 1.285§1.280(c)(3).
4. The Building Principal shall investigate and evaluate any incident that results in a serious injury as reported by the affected student, parent/guardian, staff member, or other individual. § 1280(c)(4).
5. The Building Principal shall compile a description of alternative strategies that will be implemented when determined advisable pursuant to Section 1.285(f)(4). §1.280(c)(5).
6. The Superintendent or designee shall compile an annual review of the use of isolated time out or physical restraint. The Building Principal shall report the following information to the Superintendent in order to facilitate the report’s compilation: §1.280(c)(6).
a. The number of incidents involving the use of these interventions;
b. The location and duration of each incident;
c. Identification of the staff members who were involved;
d. Any injuries or property damage that occurred; and
e. The timeliness of parental notification and administrative review.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-20.33.
23 Ill. Admin. Code §§ 1.280 and 1.285.
DATED: May 28, 2002
REVIEWED: May 15, 2006
REVIEWED: April 11, 2016
REVISED: June 27, 2016