Glenbard Township High School District 87
Student participation in Board of Education-approved extracurricular athletic activities is contingent upon the following:
1. The student must meet the academic criteria set forth in the Parent-Student Handbook.
2. A parent/guardian of the student must provide written permission for the student's participation, giving the District full waiver of responsibility of the risks involved.
3. The student must present a current certificate of physical fitness issued by a licensed physician, an advanced practice nurse, or a physician assistant. The Pre-Participation Physical Examination Form, offered by the Illinois High School Association is the preferred certificate of physical fitness.
4. The student must show proof of accident insurance coverage either by a policy purchased through the District-approved insurance plan or a parent(s)/guardian(s) written statement that the student is covered under a family insurance plan for IHSA interscholastic football.
5. The student must agree to follow all rules of conduct.
6. The student and his or her parent(s)/guardian(s) must: (a) comply with the eligibility rules of, and complete any forms required by, any sponsoring association (such as the Illinois High School Association (IHSA), and (b) complete all forms required by the District including, without limitation, signing an acknowledgment of receiving information about the Board’s concussion policy 7:305, Student Athlete Concussions and Head Injuries.
The Superintendent or designee (1) is authorized to impose additional requirements for a student to participate in extracurricular athletics, provided the requirement(s) comply with Board policy 7:10, Equal Educational Opportunities, and (2) shall maintain the necessary records to ensure student compliance with this policy.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-20.30, 5/10-20.54, 5/22-80, and 25/2.
23 Ill. Admin. Code 1.530(b).
CROSS REF.: 4:100 (Insurance Management), 4:170 (Safety), 6:190 (Extracurricular and Co-Curricular Activities), 7:10, (Equal Educational Opportunities), 7:240 (Extracurricular Code for Participants in Extracurricular Activities), 7:305 (Student Athlete Concussions and Head Injuries), 7:340 (Student Records)
ADOPTED: December 8, 1997
REVISED: October 6, 2003
REVIEWED: April 13, 2009
REVISED: May 26, 2009
REVIEWED: May 10, 2010
REVISED: June 28, 2010
REVIEWED: November 14, 2016
REVISED: January 9, 2017