Glenbard Township High School District 87
The Board of Education recognizes that parent organizations and booster clubs are an invaluable resource to the District schools and so supports their formation and vitality. While parent organizations and booster clubs shall have no administrative authority and cannot determine District policy, their suggestions and assistance are always welcome. Membership will be open and unrestricted.
Parent organizations and booster clubs are recognized by the Board of Education and permitted to use the District's name, a District school's name, or a District school's team name, or any logo attributable to the District provided they first receive the Superintendent or designee's express written consent. Consent to use one of the above-mentioned names or logos will generally be granted if the organizaton or club has by-laws containing the following:
1. The organization's or club's name and purpose, such as, to enhance students' educational experiences, to help meet educational needs of students, to provide extra athletic benefits to students, to assist specific sports teams or academic clubs through financial support, or to enrich extracurricular activities.
2. The rules and procedures under which it operates.
3. An agreement to adhere to all Board of Education policies and administrative procedures.
4. A statement that membership is open and unrestricted, meaning that membership is open to parents/guardians of students enrolled in the school, District staff, and community members.
5. A statement that the District is not, and will not be, resonsible for the organization's or club's business or the conduct of its members.
6. An agreement to maintain and protect its own finances.
7. A recognition that money given to a school may be earmarked for a particular expense that has been approved by the Board of Education. Booster clubs may make recommendations but cash or other valuable consideration must be given to the District to use at its discretion. The Board of Education's legal obligation to comply with Title IX by providing equal athletic opportunity for members of both genders will supersede an organization or club's recommendation.
Permission to use one of the above-mentioned names or logos may be rescinded at any time and does not constitute permission to act as the District's representative. At no time does the District accept responsibility for the actions of any parent organization or booster club regardless of whether it was recognized and/or permitted to use any of the above-mentioned names or logos. The Superintendent shall designate an administrative staff member to serve as a liaison to parent organizations or booster clubs in his or her school. The liaison will serve as a resource person and provide information about school programs, resources, policies, problems, concerns, and emerging issues. Building staff will be encouraged to participate in the organizations.
ADOPTED: December 8, 1997
REVIEWED: April 17, 2006
REVIEWED: October 27, 2008
REVISED: December 8, 2008