About Glenbard - School Profiles
School profiles provide information about a given school. The information includes:
* Thumbnail description of Glenbard Township High School District 87
* Names of principal administrators and school counseling staff
* List of graduation requirements
* Grade-point average distribution
* Grading system
* Testing profiles for ACT and SAT
* Advanced Placement courses offered
* National Merit scholarship finalists
* College matriculation
Select the profile you want to view from the menu below. You will need to have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed to view these PDFs.
PDF Versions of school profiles:
Glenbard Township High School was established in the 1922-1923 school year when students began their first full year of attendance on the campus of what is now Glenbard West High School. Students in Glen Ellyn had previously attended the Glen Ellyn High School, which was located on the second floor of the DuPage Bank Building. This school was founded in 1916 with Mr. A. W. Holzman as Principal. When Mr. Fred L. Biester took over the office in 1918, the faculty consisted of five members who instructed 120 students in a basic curriculum.
By 1920 the enrollment had far outgrown the bank building and the various church basements that had been called into service. A search began for a building site. "Honeysuckle Hill" was then purchased for the new high school. It was a wild patch of weeds and trees, and the parking lot was a deep ditch. Lake Ellyn blanketed the entire football field and was sold to the Park Board for $1.
After the site had been chosen, Lombard asked to be included in the Glen Ellyn district. The two communities combined their efforts, and Glenbard High School was born. The original school was comprised of the section west of the present main office.
Over the years, Glenbard has continued to grow in answer to the ever-increasing pressure of enrollment. The first addition was made in 1926, the auditorium in 1931, and the Hilltop gym in 1936. The east wing was added to the building in 1953. Biester Gym was built in1958.
In 1959 Glenbard East was built in Lombard, and the original school became Glenbard West. In 1964-65, there was a complete renovation of Glenbard West, including the addition of new choral, band, and physical science facilities. In the years that followed, the George Zahrobsky Botanical Garden, Shakespeare Garden and Poet's Corner were added to further enhance the beauty of Glenbard West’s campus. The most recent additions, a new library and field house, were completed in fall 2001.
Glenbard East High School opened its doors in September 1959, with a student body of 525 students and 28 staff members.
Prior to the opening of Glenbard East in 1959, Lombard students in High School District No. 87 attended Glenbard West in Glen Ellyn (known at the time simply as Glenbard High School). The first Superintendent to serve the district was the late Fred L. Biester, who was Superintendent from 1918 until his death in 1962. In the spring of 1962, the Board of Education appointed Dr. Dean W. Stoakes as Superintendent, followed by Mr. Raymond Livingston in 1978 and Dr. Robert C. Stevens in 1984. Dr. Ron Smith was appointed as superintendent in May 1999. In 2002, Dr. Timothy Hyland was appointed superintendent. Dr. Mike Meissen was superintentendent from 2006 until June 2012. Dr. David Larson became superintendent in July 2012.
Glenbard East has established itself as an excellent high school respected for its broad academic offerings and varied extracurricular program.
Glenbard North High School opened its doors in August 1968. It was the third of the four Glenbard high schools to open. The first principal of Glenbard North was Raymond Livingston. Burt Weber served Glenbard North as principal from 1971 to1989, having the longest tenure of any Glenbard North principal at 18 years. The football field, Weber Field, was named in his honor.
Glenbard North is the largest high school among the four high schools in Glenbard Township District 87.
Glenbard North is part of the DuPage Valley Conference, which includes Naperville Central, Wheaton North and West Chicago.
The school colors are Black & Old Gold and the school mascot is Victor E. Panther.
Glenbard South High School opened its doors to students for the first time in the fall of 1972. The school serves the same area as that of Elementary District 89, including areas of Glen Ellyn, Lombard and Wheaton.
Glenbard South is a member of the Metro Suburban Conference. Other schools in the conference are Elmwood Park, Fenton, Illiana Christian, Ridgewood, Riverside Brookfield, and Timothy Christian. Glenbard South’s school colors are Red, White, and Blue. Our school mascot is the Raider.