Glenbard Township High School District 87
Public Participation at School Board Meetings and Petitions to the Board
At each regular and special open meeting, members of the public and District employees may comment to or ask questions of the School Board, subject to reasonable constraints.
The individuals appearing before the Board are expected to follow these guidelines:
1. Address the Board only at the appropriate time as indicated on the agenda and when recognized by the Board President.
2. Identify oneself and be brief. Ordinarily, comments shall be limited to 3 minutes. A person may speak for 5 minutes at the discretion of the Board President if the individual represents a group that wishes to communicate with the Board.
3. Observe the Board President’s decision to shorten public comment to conserve time and give the maximum number of individuals an opportunity to speak.
4. Observe the Board President’s decision to determine procedural matters regarding public participation not otherwise covered in Board policy.
5. Conduct oneself with respect and civility toward others and otherwise abide by Board policy, 8:30, Visitors to and Conduct on School Property.
Comments that may require more than 3 minutes should be provided as written correspondence. Written correspondence to the Board shall be presented to the board in the next regular Board packet.
LEGAL REF.: 105 ILCS 5/10-6 and 5/10-16.
CROSS REF.: 2:220
ADOPTED: December 8, 1997
REVIEWED: November 21, 2005
REVIEWED: February 11, 2013
REVISED: March 18, 2013
REVIEWED: October 24, 2016
REVISED: December 12, 2016