Glenbard Township High School District 87
Student Use of Facilities - Equal Access
Non-curriculum related non-school-sponsored groups of Glenbard students may meet on school premises during non-instructional time for religious, political, philosophical or other speech-related purposes if approved by the Building Principal. All other non-curriculum related non-school sponsored groups of Glenbard students may meet on school premises only to the extent permitted under guidelines established by the Superintendent. All meetings are subject to the following conditions:
1. Attendance is voluntary and student initiated.
2. The meeting may not be school-sponsored.
3. School employees may be present at religious meetings but only in a non-participatory capacity.
4. The meetings cannot materially and substantially interfere with the orderly conduct of educational activities within the school.
5. Non-school persons may not direct, conduct, control, or regularly attend.
6. All school rules, applicable laws and the constitutional rights of other persons must be observed.
7. No financial support may be provided by the school other than the incidental cost of providing the space for the meeting and activities related to the meeting as provided below.
8. The school maintains its authority to maintain order and discipline.
Approval by the Principal may not be denied on the basis of the religious, political, philosophical or other content of the speech at a meeting unless the meeting does, or is likely to, materially and substantially interfere with educational activities within the school, is unlawful or is in violation of any applicable School District policies or school rules.
The term “non-curriculum related student group” means any student group not related to the body of courses offered by the school. Student groups directly related to the subject matter of courses offered by the school do not fall within the non-curriculum related category and are considered curriculum related.
The terms “meeting,” “sponsorship” and “instructional time” as used in this policy have the same meaning as contained in the federal Equal Access Act.
The Superintendent or a designee shall develop administrative procedures and guidelines to implement this policy. The guidelines shall include the categories of non-curriculum-related non-school sponsored student groups which are denied access or allowed more limited access than the access provided for such groups meeting for religious, political, philosophical or other speech-related purposes. The guidelines shall also address the access rights and privileges incidental to meetings.
LEGAL REF.: Equal Access Act, 20 U.S.C. § 4071 et seq.
Board of Education of Westside Community School Dist. v. Mergens, 110 S.Ct. 2356 (1990).
CROSS REF.: 7:10 (Equal Education Opportunities), 8:20 (Community Use of School Facilities)
ADOPTED: December 8, 1997
REVISED: June 12, 2000
REVISED: November 12, 2001
REVISED: October 6, 2003
REVIEWED: May 6, 2013
REVISED: June 24, 2013